Saturday, July 31, 2010

Man in the Woods


      So my boyfriend is going camping with his guy friends this weekend. I baked some stuff for him to take with him. Mostly because I'm the best girlfriend ever, but also maybe just one tiny bit because I wanted to post something on my blog. Either way, result= tasty treats, selfishly motivated or not.
      The first thing I made was granola. Yeah, I know. Hippy food extrodinaire. I got the recipe from "Bon Appetit" Magazine. Bon Appetit is what you might call a "foodie" mag, if you can use that term without feeling like a total effin tool. But you know what I mean.... it goes a step further into food culture than most food magazines. It features recipes for things you're seriously never going make like "Tamarind-glazed Black Cod with Haberno Orange Salsa", and articles that look into deeper issues surrounding food-like how race plays a role in agricultural reform. I was surprised to find this simple recipe for granola in the June 2010 issue, but I'm seriously glad I tried it. One of the easiest things I've made in a long time and totally addictive.

      I also made a batch of my ultimate number one, fall back, all occasion, never fail chocolate chip cookies. The recipe comes from the book "Vegan with a Vengeance" by Isa Chandra Moskowitz. As I mentioned in my first entry, I was veg for a long time. In the past year I've started eating meat, but a few of my old favourite recipes stuck. These cookies always come out amazing....as one friend put it "they taste like REAL cookies." This particular batch isn't actually vegan, since I added M&Ms(which have milk in them), but they contain no eggs or dairy other than that. I've made them for friends, classmates and family including my aunts and Grandma-and you KNOW that's serious business. Everyone really likes them and they always make me seem much more charming than I really am. Sweet cooking goes a long way towards masking a bitter personality.

No comments:

Post a Comment