Monday, August 2, 2010

But seriously, how the %$*@ does your garden grow?

      Earlier this summer my man decided to plant a vegetable garden. I have to admit that I had nothing to do with this-he gets 100% of the credit for that particular food adventure. I love vegetables, and the thought of having fresh ones in my own back yard makes me feel like a real salt-of-the-earth kind of gal. But there's something about gardening that scares me. For some reason I can just never believe that real food is going to grow out of little specks that you buy from Canadian Tire-it seems like impossible magic. Now the garden is producing awesome vegetables and the only logical explanation is that my boyfriend is some sort of witch. But I think he's a good witch because the zucchini we had with dinner tonight was great

     
I roasted the zucchini in the oven with olive oil, salt and pepper.  For the main dish I cooked chicken breasts in a chili-lime marinade, topped with a salsa-ish mix of black beans, corn, tomatoes, avocado, red onion and cilantro. This meal is a good representation of the kind of food I cook and eat on a daily basis; lean proteins, lots of vegetables. It's good to stay in shape so that you're prepared for anything, like zombie takeovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment