Friday, August 20, 2010

Margarita Cupcakes don't need a clever title

       The bar I work at is celebrating it's 4th anniversary tonight, and I wanted to bake something to mark the occasion. Since we serve burritos and other Mexican fare, I looked for a recipe for margarita cupcakes.  The best-reviewed recipe I could find on the internet came from the cookbook Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World, by Isa Chandra Moskowicz and Terry Hope Romero. In my own vegan days I had lots of luck with their recipes, and I've only heard glowing reviews of that book, so I wasn't at all hesitant to try out these eggless cupcakes.  I don't always think it's a good idea to post recipes from cookbooks, but this one is floating around the internet many times over so I don't feel too bad. Here it is:

1/4 cup lime juice 
1 1/2 tsp lime zest (1 lime)
1 cup soy milk (plain or vanilla)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tsp tequila
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup sugar
1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Fill a 12-cup muffin tin with liners.
In a large bowl, mix together lime juice, lime zest, soy milk, oil , tequila, vanilla and sugar.
In a small bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add to lime mixture and stir until just combined. Divide evenly into muffin tins.
Bake for 20-24 minutes, until a tester comes out clean and the cakes spring back when lightly pressed.
Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.

     The only things I did differently were add a little extra tequila (I would) and a teaspoon of orange extract to simulate the flavour of triple sec, which usually goes in margaritas.
     Instead of using the icing recipe that's published in the book, I made a buttercream icing. I do think that vegan baking can be delicious, but when it comes to icing no brand of margarine can equal butter.
    I sugared the 'rims' (I didn't think salt would go over that well in cupcakes) and topped them with a tropical jellybean. I made a few extras so that Kyle could taste test them for me, and he gave them his highest rating: "Fucking dynamite babe"

No comments:

Post a Comment