Saturday, August 7, 2010

A wholesome day of family values. And trans-fat.

     Today was my Grandpa's 80th birthday. My contribution to the party was red velvet cupcakes. The perfect recipe for this classic southern treat seems like a bit of a holy grail in the world of online recipe websites. There were tons of options on the sites I frequent, but for each one it seemed like some of the reviewers loved the results and some hated them. It seems like there's a lot of dispute about how to make them right: cream cheese or buttercream icing, a touch of cocao or a full on chocolate flavour, buttermilk in the batter or sour cream? So I just picked a recipe and went with it. Red velvet cake is usually adorned with pecans, but I topped these cupcakes with chocolate rosebuds. I never understand why anyone would use nuts in a situation where they could use chocolate.

Traditional or not, everyone like them, especially Kyle (my guy). He eat/inhaled at least three. But he eats everything, so the real vindication was having my Grandma tell me they were great. What a woman.

And while I'm on the topic of great women, I gotta give props to my mother. She taught me how to cook. And use the potty, for which I am eternally grateful.


1 comment:

  1. oh what a cute picture of mom. and your cupcakes look super nice too.

    ReplyDelete